Tuesday, March 16, 2010

After & Before, with still more to do...

After pictures are so much better to start with!  Don't you think?  Here is my dining room in the "after" with more work to do....  Dining room chairs from ebay have to be reupholstered for one thing.  My dog Maggie is watching me as I fret over my chairs!  {The things in the background are from Halloween...not my other creepy pets!}
 
 Windows are bare, but kind of like it that way.  We may need a bigger table but it is hard to give up this antique Belgian oak table.  Two leaves open it up to seat many.  I am not even sure if I want to keep this color.  When we first moved in {and we hardly had any furniture} we need to paint and I had to pick something.  Oh my, it was so hard to do!  There are WAY to many color choices out there.  Paint color:  Desert Tan by Benjamin Moore.


I love collecting silver and I enjoy making my little arrangements here and there.  My new favorite finds are hotel silver.  I am definitely a collector now!



I have a little built in corner hutch that I painted the interior La Paloma Gray by Benjamin Moore.  I just am crazy about gray and had to find a place for it in the dinning room.


This chandelier is antique inspired with hand cut crystal.  It was not that expensive and I am really happy with it.


This antique English sideboard we found up in Essex.  The painting is from Ireland by Knuttle.  This artist has actually become quite popular now.

I am looking for a mirror to go above the sideboard and hang the painting somewhere else.  Some mirrors that have caught my eye.... I have others and will do a post on all of them!  Which one of these do you think could work?



So here are the before pictures.  So much better to put them in the end.  Nothing that great to look at.  This room has good bones and probably more potential than I am able to pull off for it.  
I am tryin' though!
I was all mixed up about paint colors.  Someone actually recommended this dark red below.  It looked too much like blood to me!  It probably would have been very dramatic but too typical for me.  It seems red is a very popular color for dining rooms in New England.






Hope you enjoyed the tour and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would welcome them!

Have a great day~
xoxojamilyn

*Images property of Living It At Home*

25 wonderful comments:

Scientific Housewife said...

Looks great, I love the centerpiece!

Theresa said...

Beautiful! You did a fabulous job! And you take incredible pictures!

the gardener's cottage said...

Hi Jamilyn,

I love that sideboard. It's gorgeous. And I love your hotel silver. Do you know at the Rose Bowl on Sunday we could not find ANY! The whole room is fantastic.

~janet

Red Door Home said...

Love what you did. I too am a big hotel silver fan of late. It is just so pretty and I don't feel like I have to only use it for special occasions.

V said...

I'm so excited to find your blog (from you finding mine!). Your house looks beautiful inside and out, I'm anxious to see picture of your hedge, I love period pieces particularly with Colin Firth, and I love young adult lit. Fun!

Catherine said...

Hi Jamilyn, So very beautiful! And your pictures capture so many lovely details. Trina

1 Funky Woman said...

Love the 1st mirror and that sideboard. I love your blog, so I tagged you in my post today. Please visit 1funkywoman, enjoy!

Megan

My Dream Canvas said...

Hi, your hotel silver is amazing. Lovely post. I would love for you to drop by my blog. I have done a post on my grandmother's silver collection. I think you might enjoy it.

www.mydreamcanvas.blogspot.com

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Jamilyn,
Your home really does have great bones! The windows and moldings are really beautiful.

I love your dining room and the sideboard is really pretty and unique. And your silver collection is so fun. I have a few pieces I take out now and then for a bit of sparkle.

I really like the first mirror too.


Londen

Unknown said...

You did wonderful, love the colours and the flowers and especialy your pictures! Great shots!
And your hotel silver is so pretty, love it!

Thank you for your sweetest comment the other day! You are most welcome! I am sorry to come back to you only now, we had no power after the storm and all my blog reading and writing had gotten delayed. Just the bare basics!!!
Now back to almost normal...

XX
Victoria

Fargerike Dagny said...

I love what you've done so far!! You have some amazing pieces. I'm especially loving your little grey corner :)

LindsB said...

Your house is beautiful! More specifically your dining room is stunning- I LOVE the ebay chairs, what a great find.

paula said...

Love it. I too love bear windows. Where we live its not possible though. Not loving the deep red either. I love seeing your home.

Anonymous said...

Such a gorgeous before & after... Lovely.. Love the way you've done up the room... Its simply awesome..

Marija said...

I think you've done a great job, Jaimie! The bit of grey on the inside of the hutch is my favorite touch! Marija

Unknown said...

Looks like you are well on your way to a gorgeous home! Love your dining room built in and the color you chose! We have similar ones in our dining room, they are one of my favorite details. Also thinking that BBC series you posted earlier is right up my alley! Thanks, will be back!

KIND BY NATURE said...

Thanks for your comments, and nice that you stopped by my Dansih blog. I sell the owls:-)

Gwen Driscoll said...

So LOVE a project! It looks fabulous and great! Congrats to you. Hope you are well.

Gwen

beki said...

It looks great! I love how airy it is. And that sideboard - fabulous!!

Laura said...

I love the wall color! looks fantastic

MaryBeth Houlihan said...

i love your new room. great job. a lot of the pieces remind me of restoration hardware.

pve design said...

Your home is lovely, I love your photos too.
pve

Jodi Kendall said...

what an amazing transformation! And that chandelier is breathtaking!!!

enjoy your weekend :)

Unknown said...

Oh my.. just gorgeous! Your silver pieces are amazing! Great blog, will be following! xo

Anonymous said...

This is my first time posting on a blog EVER...I stumbled onto your blog and have to say it must be some weird twist of fate because your style, images, and home are so similiar to mine I just spend 1 hour clicking through all your images, comments etc. Before I go on to further I wanted to offer up the color suggestion as your living room is similiar to ours and noticed you toying with two colors we contemplated. If by chance you opt to change color check out Henna Shade by Sherwin Williams. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great inspirations! Keep creating!