Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gone batty with bats!

Behold~my flying bats project is complete!  I think it came out pretty good.  What do you think?  The decoration is simple, has great contrast, clean lines and is quite realistic in its own way.  It is very different from what I usually do every year.  Do you adore the mini pumpkins sitting on the ledge? 

This is my side entrance to my "tiny" mud room (that is a whole other story).  Decided to continue over here and tie it all together with my front door.  I think it was a success without much effort!  I may still work more in this area.  Have to do something with the two urns that I have in front of this door.  Needs something else.  Will post if and when I get to it.

Here are some photo's I managed to take of the project in progress.  Very easy to do.   You can find a link to the templates that is used for this felt bat by going here (Country Living).   I made three different sizes on my copy/printer.  I thought it would look more realistic to have different sized bats.  I bought the "stiff" felt at Michael's craft store for 99 cents each, I got ten sheets.  I was able to produce many bats, after you fold it, on one sheet.  I used a white pencil to trace, cut inside the lines.  You can use white chalk also.



Here is the template traced.  All you have to do is cut it out.

Here is the finished bat, very easy.  I used masking tape doubled over to adhere it  onto the outside of my house.



This is a decoration that I did several years back.  I really like using Millet to plant in my urns by the side door.  It looks creepy and is really tall.  However, it was sold out this year!  When done with Halloween, it still works for the rest of the season.  Found this bat at this amazing store in Alameda, California called Gaslight Emporium.  If you ever are in the San Francisco area and it is around Halloween, you have to go to this shop.  It is done up for the occasion with the best items to add to your Halloween decorating and collecting.  They also have a great sale at the end! (Correction:  friend in California told me that they sized down and are not displaying all of their spooktacular items anymore.  Closing shop?  What a shame!).

Here is my tiny, teeny mud room.  I have some ideas to make it appear more functional.  I will post about that later.  This paper mache pumpkin was something I picked up on sale.  It has another face on the other side.  It is from Dept. 56.  Isn't it cute?  I put our Halloween candy in it every year and let the kids pick out what they want when the bell rings...."Trick or Treat"!   The nest on the floor is from a Robin. They usually build one outside my back door every year.  I am collecting them now.
          
This was fun!
Have a great time decorating!


Jamilyn


{Photo's property of Living It At Home, taken via me}

16 wonderful comments:

Jessica said...

So darn cute! Your house looks adorable! :) It's very FALL!

Living It At Home said...

Thank you! It means alot to hear from you!

###### said...

love the porch...reminds me of the color purple almost. i love white homes with porches..

deleted said...

Wow, this is really beautiful! I love the bats, they look so surreal. Thank you for sharing how you made them.

Unknown said...

Too cute! I just your blog!!

Unknown said...

Meant to say, I just LOVE your blog!! And your home!

Unknown said...

Hi Jamilyn!! Seriously impressive! My kids would absolutely love this project!

And, yes, I adore your little white pumpkins!

:) T

A Seaside House said...

It is so cute and welcoming! and your blog is beautiful, I`ll be soon back to visit!
Have a nice weekend:)

LindsB said...

I love the Country Living bat template- I used it to make a TON of bats for my apartment too!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love this! It's so fun. I'm adding this to my Halloween Round-Up this week and will be linking back to it. Thanks, Jamilyn! :-)

Living It At Home said...

I love reading all your wonderful comments! It is the highlight of my day!

Thanks so much and keep them coming!

~Jamilyn

nelya said...

I saw this project in Country Living and put it on my to-do list. Problem is, I have yet "to-do." But you did a fabulous job. Seriously, it looks wonderfully macabe and even better than the magazine feature.

phillips phamily said...

Love, love, love the bats! So simple, but striking in a big way.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

That looks great!

deb said...

Love the bats!

SoSoBella said...

hello. i'm not really a bat girl during halloween. didn't like them until now. those look so cool.
thanks for sharing :O)