Saturday, January 1, 2011

Too Soon For Tulips? Our Happy New Years Eve

After a long week away visiting family for Christmas, it was really nice to come home and fuss about.  Somehow I thought New Year's Eve was on Saturday and I would have a day to gather myself, unpack, clean and get organized before the New Year.  After I said to my husband about ten times that I couldn't believe it was New Year's Eve on Friday, I ran out to go food shopping (cupboards were bare).  I also needed some flowers ASAP for some cheer!  These tulips felt so fresh and gave me a hint of spring.  I hate to admit that I woke up that morning (Friday) excited for spring!  It is only the beginning of our long winter and  spring is very far away so I better get over it!  I highly recommend filling your home with flowers during these long winter months.  I plan on putting flowers in several rooms in my home, even on my bedside table.  Flowers when you wake up?  Just lovely...I will try and find some scented ones...
I think the reddish pink tulips compliment the antique silverplate vase perfectly!


For New Year's Eve, we kept it simple and easy.  No cooking (whew)!  I had to have candles to set the mood.  We kept all the lights low and put on some classical music.  We also had our fireplace going to make it even more cozier.  
I love my collection of brass candlesticks from antique stores

We had a lovely antipasto platter and an assortment of cheeses.  Opened a bottle of wine, ate shrimp cocktail and just sat back and relaxed.  It was the best night ever!

The aftermath....


Photo taken by my daughter
A view from my dinning room through the foyer to our living room where our chubby Christmas tree is. I did not do much decorating this year because we were traveling.  However, it is nice to be home and enjoy our tree now.  My husband asked me what are two things that I would like to accomplish in 2011...that would have to be, travel (Ireland and San Francisco-for now) and get a new refrigerator!  Also, healthy eating and exercise...oh yeah, update and care for my blog better (have not been posting that much).  It is exciting to "feel" like you can start fresh for the new year coming.

What do you resolve to do this year?
Happy New Year!

xojamilyn

{All photo's property of living it at home}



8 wonderful comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Eating healthy and becoming more active are just a few of my plans for 2011. Good luck on tour travel plans. Sounds like two good trips. We went to SF on our honeymoon and left our hearts there. Oh it is never to soon for tulips. My favorite flower!!

Concept Interiors said...

why not, I've already taken down the Christmas decorations, and I am definitely buying som fresh, white tulips today.

Happy new year!

Chrissy said...

It is never to soon to think about tulips and spring, especially here in the Northeastern US. I hope you have a great time in SF and planning your trip.
I hope to get organized this year and really get my blog going :) It was great stopping by your blog and becoming a follower.
Happy New Year.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Looks like a perfect night, and now I'm hungry, your dinner looked delish!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

Your pink tulips in that vase look gorgeous. The antipasto platter...perfect! I read your post today, ran out to Trader joe's...no tulips...stopped at the market...no tulips. Monday for sure!

Unknown said...

Never to early for tulips....
Your place looks so dreamy cozy! Love your spread for New Years Eve! Glorious!

Happy New Year!

Fargerike Dagny said...

Wow, it looks beautiful! Loved your antipasti, made me crave some too!

And I love your whole dining room!

xx
dagny

Lighting control said...

This is a best and awesome Christmas decorations!!!Hope u had a grant party!!!The way u decor ur stuffs are wonderfull... http://www.edgonline.com/