Monday, April 26, 2010

Enchanted In Georgetown. My Trip

My travels landed me in a charming place, Georgetown in Washington DC.  This area is rich in history and culture.  Not to mention great shopping on M Street!  One store that caught my eye was Bobby Medlin's.  She apparently turns treasures like an antique Tibetan flint case, into one of a kind neckpieces.  These pieces she has created are very rare and from far away places.  It is a magical shop with amazing jewelry.

Her necklaces are so unique and would make a statement with any simple outfit.

I wondered around and shopped for hours but found myself drawn to the streets above to explore the neighborhood.  The homes in Georgetown are so beautiful and well kept.  I love quaint streets with old homes and had to take a peek.  I really can't resist looking at homes!

It was a beautiful day to take some photo's with my little Cannon Power Shot.

As I walked around, I was wondering who lived in these magnificent homes.  How does one come to live here?  What kind of success affords a life here?  I know these homes must be in the millions for sure. When I think of DC, I think of politicians and diplomats.  I think of old money and status. There are so many different ways to experience life and so many different places to do it in.  

This little courtyard entrance got me.  I would love to come home everyday and walk through that Iron gate and open my cute door.  Love the topiary!

Black doors galore.  Such a great color to paint your front door.  So chic!  Very popular here.



I really love old homes.  However, how does one maintain something so old?  My house was built in the 40's and it needs constant attention.  Can't imagine a home that is over 100 years old and what that involves.  These home are well cared for preserving their history.  Thank goodness for me because I love looking at them!

Some of the homes are so grand and elegant.  I could see a little into the high arched windows and it was very spectacular indeed.  Even the furnishings were special.  

I like to study the architecture and the details.

This front door caught my eye.  Especially the unique light.

The homes are so cozy together!

This little red gem with its slate roof was a show stopper for me.  It is so adorable and I would love to live in it!

So cute!

This is M Street and all the wonderful shops.  


After all the walking I was starved and needed some refreshments.  I stumbled upon this charming french cafe and found a shady spot outside.  It was heavenly.  The quiche and spring salad was delish!  I truly enjoyed my day in Georgetown.  I cannot wait to go back again.



This is how my dog Maggie spent most of her time in Maryland.  She knows how to vacation!  So happy to be back.  My daughter and I drove over 900 miles this week visiting family in NY and Maryland.  It was a fun trip and I am sure we will be doing it again!

xoxojamilyn

{All photo's property of and taken by Living It At Home}

14 wonderful comments:

Scientific Housewife said...

Great photos, I love towns like that!

Erica Cook said...

Lucky! Sounds and looks like a fantastic weekend. My weekend included yard cleanup and a trip to the grocery store. it's nice to live a little vicariously! xo Erica

Deepali Kalia Interior Design Blog Filling Spaces said...

LOVELY pics thanks for sharing'

Staley Mc said...

I love Georgetown! When I went to DC last summer I just fell in love with the area. Great pictures!

Red Door Home said...

Looks like a fabulous place to walk around and spend an afternoon.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Thanks for taking us on a tour with you, I love looking at old houses too. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Kind of reminds me of a cross between Beacon Hill and Nantucket. Your dog is a cutie too.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Thanks for little virtual trip around DC, loved seeing all the charming and stunning homes you showed!
Janell

house things said...

Excellent photos. We live across the Potomac, just a few miles from Georgetown. It is a lovely place.

beki said...

Oh wow, such gorgeous photos!!

Unknown said...

We have so much in common....Jamylin! I love your pictures of houses, corners, small details, doors and windows....
I see the world and architecture in particular through the same view finder in my head...
Georgtown is beautiful! Want to go on a explorer trip NOW!

xx
Victoria

My Dream Canvas said...

I love Georgetown too and your photographs are brilliant. You have captured the history, architecture and old world charm of the buildings so beautifully. Lovely post.

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

Oh, fun. We lived in DC for years, in a rowhouse similar to one of the ones you posted here (although the address was not as...desirable.) It's a great town, and I love going back for visits.

warmly,
-maria

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

lovely images and glad for the trip.